what we're about

Attempts to illuminate our brief mortal existence

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

                                                                                                                                                           
           Remember that thou art dust, and to dust thou shalt return. - Genesis 3:19
An activity that is based on the frenzies and impulsions of human ambition is a delusion and an obstacle to grace (8).   - Thomas Merton, Love and Holiness
Although I didn't make it to an Ash Wednesday service today, at RCIA tonight I sat in a room full of people with the ashes of death marked on their foreheads.  Dust to dust. Life ends.  Death comes. And when it does, the things that I do to please and impress others, the activites that I undertake to placate my own aching soul, and even good deeds done with the subtle expectation of transaction - these will fall to dust and ashes along with my body.

Kyrie, eleison.  Christe, eleison. 



1 comment: