what we're about

Attempts to illuminate our brief mortal existence

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Liebster Award!

I have a dear friend in Canada named Jessica.  Through her, mostly by way of her delightful blog, I get to live vicariously the life of an insanely busy, shoe loving, distance running, ever beautiful Francophile.  Since this is clearly not the life that I lead in person, I am grateful.  And today I'm grateful because she named for a Liebster Award.







In essence, this means that she loves my blog and likes hearing me talk about myself.  All that I have to do is list 5 things about myself, and answer five questions that Jess asked.  I'm also supposed to tag five more people, but all the other blogs that I read are by people who are more blog-accomplished than myself, so I would feel silly tagging them as "up and coming" blogs.  So, without further ado, here goes.

Part 1: Five Things about me.


These jammies have ducks on the feet.

  1. My son (on the right there) is both one of my favorite things in the world, and one of my greatest annoyances.
  2. I. love. writing. papers.  
  3. My son (yes, him again) is growling adorable little baby growls at me from the floor at this very moment.  
  4. I like chocolate ice cream more than real chocolate, and chocolate ice cream with peanut butter more than either one. 
  5. I married a nerd, who has only gotten more incredibly nerdy in the three years that we've been married, and I love it so much that I wish that I was cool enough to be a real nerd myself.  


Part 2: Questions from Jessica


  1. Where would you live if you could? - I don't have anywhere particular in mind, but in general: a small town, within 45 minutes of a big city.  A house or apartment next door to a park, down the street from an awesome independent coffee shop (that would magically have cheap iced lattes), and across from a yarn shop.  Failing all that, I'll take a small, old apartment in married student housing at the University of Notre Dame, as long as I can have Landon and Christopher.  Luckily for me, that's exactly where I live now. 
  2. What is your weakness? - Peanut butter and/or iced lattes.  Also, I don't deal well with loose ends.  Give me a plan to follow, or a pattern to fit everything into, and I'm happy.  It's hard for me to look at these days with nothing much in them (aside from the obvious feeding/changing/playing with my child) and just fill them up with all the things that I know I want my life to be full of - reading good books, knitting pretty things, writing, and playing that piano that I finally have.  Perhaps intertwined with this is a dearth of self-motivation, and too many gremlins in my head
  3. What was the best day of your life so far? -   It might have been the day that I went with my piano teacher and a group of her family and friends to dinner at a wonderful Italian restaurant, and then to a Broadway Across America performance of The Phantom of the Opera, in Columbus, Ohio.  The music, the voices, the whole thrilling production went off in my soul like a firework.  It was a revelation.  (I know that I'm supposed to pick my wedding day, or the day of my son's birth for this, but those are a different kind of "best.")
  4. What would your last meal on earth be? - Oh, this is so easy.  A juicy cheeseburger (the good kind) with hand cut seasoned french fries.  A slice of rich, creamy, plain cheesecake for dessert, along with an iced latte.  Oh yes.    
  5. If you became independently wealthy, what three things would you buy first? -   1.  A stack of really good layering tees/camis.  Odd, I know, but they're one of the few wardrobe necessities that I can't reliably find at Goodwill, and I hate paying full price for them.  2.   A maid.  Technically this would be hiring rather than buying.  3.   A good, solid, reliable car.    
And that's all.  Since I'm not doing my own blogger list, I'm going to ask everyone who reads this to answer Jessica's questions as they pertain to themselves in the comments.  And then go give Jess a visit, 'kay?  Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Marina. I miss you. What a delightful post. It makes me want to go out for that cheeseburger with you and catch up!

    ReplyDelete