what we're about

Attempts to illuminate our brief mortal existence

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Strength

From my exploration of the Book of Common Prayer this morning:

O come, let us sing unto the Lord; let us heartily rejoice in the strength of our salvation.

- Psalm 95:1

The translation of this verse that I grew up with refers to the "rock" of our salvation. I can't make any comment on the relative merit of the translations, but I do know that I like the one that I found in the BCP this morning. It ties together for me the strength of God and the durability of my salvation. It reminds me that our salvation is not a frail, unstable state of being, dependent on my spasmodic efforts. Ultimately, it is an act of God, an act of mystery and grace. It is something strong and vibrant, and that strength - the strength of God, the strength of our salvation - is something in which we can heartily rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment